AUSTRIA / Visa & permit

Visa & permit

The work permit is a work licence for non European people to work in Austria. The permit is valid for 2 years.
For the permit there are 2 requirements:
- 52 weeks of employment and living in Austria or
- Dependant (family member àwhen someone has a permit and the person has been    living 1 year in Austria, then the partner or child can apply for it too)
The expenses are:
For the application € 43,-
For the attachment € 3,60
And for exhibition of the permit € 76,- and € 6,50

European Union members and Swiss people do not need a visa for staying in Austria.
There are 4 different visas:

1) Schengen-Visa. This visa is for non-European Union Members, who stay less than 90 days. The cost amounts to about € 60,-.
Some documents are necessary:
Completed and signed application form
Passport picture meeting the ICAO-criteria
Copies of previous Schengen visa, if any
Travel itinerary/reservation
For students: confirmation of enrolment
For retirees: proof of entitlement for retirement benefits

2) Visa D
The Visa D is a national visa, which entitles the holder of the visa to stay for a period from 91 days up to six months in Austria.
The fee for a visa of more than 90 days is 100 Euros.
The visa application form for a long-term stay can be collected at the respective Austrian representation free of charge.
3) Job-seeker visas
High-skilled third-country nationals who would like to seek employment in Austria can apply for a residence visa, category D with a period of validity of six months.
Besides compliance with the general requirements for the issuance of visas the applicant needs to provide evidence regarding his/her special qualifications.

4) Red-White-Red Card
This aims to facilitate the immigration of qualified third-country workers and their families with a view to permanent settlement in Austria, based on personal and labour-market related criteria.
The Red-White-Red Card is issued for a period of twelve months and entitles the holder to fixed-term settlement and employment by a specified employer.
The following persons are eligible for a Red-White-Red Card:
very highly qualified workers
skilled workers in occupations where there is a shortage of workers
other key workers
graduates of Austrian universities and colleges of higher education
self-employed key workers
This publication reflects the views only of the author, and the European Commission cannot be held responsible for any use which may be made of the information there